Published On: November 14th, 2023Categories: News

In another incredible night of racing for Team HRC Australia, Froth Honda Racing’s Dean Wilson (SX1) and Boost Mobile Honda Racing’s Max Anstie (SX2) secured back-to-back overall wins in front of almost 20,000 people McDonald Jones Stadium.

Both riders took the maximum 75 points after three wins (1-1-1) in their respective finals in a night of hard-fought racing at the FOX Australian Supercross Championship Newcastle Triple Crown.

Repco M9 Honda’s Parker Ross also secured consecutive round wins in the SX3 class, while Tasmania’s Cooper Ford, took the honours on his KTM in the CR22 85cc Cup.

The hard packed track was slick and slippery thanks to rain leading into the event, with a challenging set of whoops further making conditions extremely technical. Smart decisions and strong starts were crucial, and ultimately, saw the star riders rise to the top.

With the Triple Crown format in play for SX1 & SX2, it was a make-or-break night for championship contenders resulting in intense racing and compelling viewing for fans.


Final #1 saw the star-studded line up burst out of the gates with five-time Australia Champion Justin Brayton taking an early lead over current series leader and Froth Honda Racing’s Dean Wilson, Empire Kawasaki’s Matt Moss and CDR’s Justin Hill. Moss was in the mix early along with Wilson, who eventually passed him to go into battle with his Honda teammate. Unfortunately for Moss, his night ended prematurely after a heavy crash in lap 7, (after an earlier crash in qualifying) leaving the resilient Australian bitterly disappointed.

Wilson and Brayton went bar-to-bar working through traffic with lappers, but it the Scotsman who used it to his advantage, gaining the edge and ultimately taking the first SX1 checkered flag.

CDR’s Luke Clout started strongly in Final #2 but Wilson quickly took the lead with Brayton hot on both their heels. Wilson looked comfortable and cruised holding the lead from lap one to the finish line where he took his second win of the night, while Clout and Brayton banged bars, with the American pushing hard trying to pass the Australian for several laps. Brayton’s persistence paid off passing Clout in the final stages of the race to narrowly secure second place, with Clout rounding out the top three.

The final race of the night, the SX1 Final #3, was drama filled even before the first turn with Brayton and Boost Mobile Honda Racing teammate, Kyle Webster crashing together hard and not finishing. With Brayton out, Wilson, Hill and Boom Racing’s Dylan Wills hit the front, with the in-form Wilson further extending his lead on the pack to easily finish his laps and secure his third straight SX1 win of the night. Hill and Wills held their own to round out the top three.

Wilson cleaned up with the overall win in Newcastle, took home the maximum 75 championship points from the Triple Crown format giving him a commanding lead on the SX1 Australian Supercross Championship title going into the final round. CDR’s Hill was second overall, while his teammate Clout took home third place.

Final #1 was full of action with KTM’s Nathan Crawford taking the lead, and favourite and current SX2 series leader, Boost Mobile Honda Racing’s Max Anstie, caught deep for several laps before skilfully and patiently fighting his way to the front, his whoop speed and smart passing the difference. Anstie took the first points over Crawford, with Yamalube Yamaha Racing’s Kaleb Barham taking out third place.

Final #2 saw Anstie go two-from-two claiming a comfortable win, over WBR’s Robbie Wageman and KTM’s Crawford. Terrafirma Equipment Sales Honda Racing’s Wilson Todd had been leading early in the race but a mishap on lap 3 saw him go down and hand the lead to Anstie, who took it to his advantage and didn’t look back.

The final SX2 race, Final #3, unsurprisingly saw championship leader Anstie lead from start to finish, with KTM’s Crawford right behind him, hunting for opportunities as the leader started to make mistakes. While his composure secured him the win, Anstie admitted post-race he struggled with the track and how tough it was. Crawford took gallant second, with Serco Yamaha’s Cole Thompson finishing third.

Anstie also secured the overall win in Newcastle, maximum 75 championship points and takes a commanding lead in the SX2 Australian Supercross Championship title going into Melbourne.

The SX3 division raced their standalone final with Repco M9 Honda’s Parker Ross going back-to-back with the top spot on the podium after a victory over Yamaha GYTR’s Kayd Kingsford and R&D Husky’s Jyle Campbell. After popping his shoulder in the heat, and off the back of a slow start, Ross rode patiently on the slick track before taking back control from Kingsford to secure the win. Round 1’s second place getter and Heat 1 Winner, Kobe Drew, was in the mix but had a mishap on the final lap ending his winning chances, finishing the night in eighth place.

85cc – CR22 CUP 

In a highly anticipated night of racing for the 12-to-14-year-old CR22 85CC Cup, Tasmania’s Cooper Ford took the honours on his KTM SX 85 over New South Welshman Heath Davey and New Zealand’s Levi Townley on their Yamaha YZ 85s.

Round One’s first and second place getters Jack Nunn and Lachlan Allen – came sixth and fifth respectively – after fighting their way back from deep in the pack are still in the mix for the title, sitting second and third in progressive series points. The final round of racing will be hotly contested in Melbourne with the CR22 Cup Title still wide open.